As well as expert facilitation of groups & teams, LeaderShape develops leaders to become competent facilitators.
The benefits for leaders to learn to facilitate effectively, are:
- Provides an opportunity to move away from a commanding / pace-setting style
- Enables them to obtain objective input from people at all levels in the organisation
- Uses all the knowledge available in the organisation
- Provides for presenting views as questions rather than answers and thus opening up the debate
- Develops buy-in and ownership to decisions
Facilitation is the process management of more than one person to maximise the value of the participants. This can involve:
- Coaching (provides personal development drawn from the knowledge and experience of the individuals in the room)
- Consensus building
- Knowledge transfer and sharing (from an expert or from within and across the group / team)
- Decision making
- Action learning (learning through discussing and developing solutions for real live participant issues).
Some of the key characteristics of an excellent facilitator:
- Takes responsibility for the process, not the content
- Ensures there is clarity of objectives and that focus on these is retained
- Establishes a non-threatening environment that encourages engagement
- Makes sure everyone has an equal opportunity to participate
- Asks open questions rather than providing answers, and probes responses where necessary
- Is tolerant of ambiguity, curious and open to learn
- Spots and draws attention to differences of opinion
- Even when transferring knowledge, limit the time spent on “telling” and maximises the time “discussing”
- Makes sure individuals are stretched to develop their own opinions and ideas
- Ensures each participant has take-aways and actions and they are communicated and committed to everyone in the room.
Why not call us on +44 (0)330 323 0275 to find out how we can unblock your teams and propel them to greater organisational success?